Tuesday 14 September 2010

the cake

Mmmmmmm! Cakes!

Apparently in the US they use sponge cakes for their weddings - no fruit and no marzipan, so I have of course put my foot down and said that I'm going to have a marzipan covered fruit cake if it kills me. I plan to make my own(!?) to save about $500 or whatever a cake costs these days. I think what I might do is have a fruit and sponge combo - nice big fruit cake on the bottom and a couple of smaller sponges on the top. That way I'll keep everyone happy! I might actually cheat and buy the sponges (sponges have never been my forte). Oooo, maybe I can have one chocolate and one regular sponge...hmmmm. Anyway, as I'm no professional at cake decorating, I need a plan for making a simple cake look beautiful without all the expertise. I love the rainbow butterflies cake on the Martha Stewart picture below and I've found a wonderful lady on Etsy that sells them in all different shapes, sizes and colours. They look so pretty! I've also found this cake that looks so gorgeous and would be pretty easy to recreate, using silk flowers. I'm having a lot of fun looking at cakes and it's much less stressful than bridesmaid dresses! Any ideas, send them my way! x

No comments:

Post a Comment